Saturday, July 23, 2011

RetroToRevolution

My first feature is from Jeff Keegan of RetroToRevolution (www.retrotorevolution.etsy.com), a shop of handmade, upcycled steampunk jewelery and various vintage home decor. Let us take a step in another time...


Tell us a bit about yourself.

My name is Jeff Keegan. I live in an old Stone Dutch Colonial House in Historic New Paltz NY. I spend lots of time ripping stuff out of the house and repairing the bones. I've been here 6 years. I'm on the ten year restoration plan, although I think I may need to extend that plan to 15 years. That's actually one of the reasons I have all those old shutter picture frames. I cleaned out a house from like 1789 or something about an hour from new paltz. I needed beams and floor planks to replace the damaged ones in my place. While I was there, I took a bunch of shutters so I could salvage the hardware. They were pretty badly rotted around the edges, but the panels were in fair shape, and the patina was amazing. Seemed a shame to burn them so I spent a few days cutting them apart and reattaching the trim. I use lots of them around the house here for the stuff I keep to myself.

How did you come across Etsy?


I've been on and off etsy for years now. This most recent store Retro To Revolution is the one I plan to keep. I think I've finally found my place with this format.


Apart from creating things, what do you do?

I'm a Motion Graphic Artist. I work from my house and my biggest client is United Nations. I help with a lot of training videos and interactive programming. I think the most notable project I did for them was Land Mine and UXO Safety. That's unexploded ordinance. I made that booklet completely digitally interactive and translated it into something like 20 languages all on one DVD. It's a huge problem all over the world. Just a few weeks ago, anti land mine activists discovered a UXO in Uganda being used as a school bell. It had a hollow bottom and a live fuse on the top. The teacher was hitting it with a hammer every day to call the kids to school. I'm all for upcycling, but that's just plain dangerous. I don't make UXO school bells. LoL



Where does your inspiration come from?

I'm inspired by stuff I like to look at and a lot of times other visions just pop into my head. Like the clockwork animals. I think it's a lot more interesting that sticking a ladies watch movement on a cufflink and calling it steam punk. That's not what it's all about.


How would you describe your creative process?


Recycling/rescue of those huge industrial revolution book plates. I just couldn't believe my neighbor put that out for recycle. It's crazy. Even though the prints are from 1972, you never see that kind of subject matter, especially in such a large format. They're amazing. I spent a lot of money to bring those back to market. Haven't quite made back my investment yet, but I know I will in time, and it's worth it to save them and let people school their friends about life in the 1850's.


What have you learned so far as a sell? Or, if you are fairly new/ inexperienced, what would you like to learn more about?

I'm pretty new at selling on etsy, I've had a few stores, none successful. This one is going much better. I'm always looking to learn more about tagging and promotion.
Your favorite part about having a handmade business?
My favorite part about this business is making the stuff. If I didn't play with all this old interesting stuff all the time I'd be like some kind of couch potato. This keeps me busy and the mind active.

Do you have a blog?

I don't have a blog, y'all think I should start one up???

'RetroToRevolution' by sunshineluvsu

This treasury is featured on my blog for my seller's feature: http://sunshine-luvs-u.blogspot.com/. If you are interested in being featured, let me know!


Steam and Air Brakes. V...
$25.00

Steampunk Clock Face Pe...
$35.00

Picture Frame Made from...
$50.00

Steampunk Clockwork Fis...
$80.00

Pair of Upcycled Antiqu...
$40.00

Picture Frame Made From...
$50.00

Steampunk Clock Face Pe...
$35.00

Antique General Electri...
$200.00

Treasury tool by Red Row Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment